Beta Club --Sponsors: Kathryn Kinslow (H215)/Caroline Taylor (K221)/Julianne Persson (F201)
- Purpose/Mission of Club: The purpose of the National Beta Club is to promote the ideals of character, service, and leadership among secondary school students, to reward meritorious achievement, and to encourage and assist students in continuing their education after high school. Beta Club members complete 18 hours of community or school service each semester. Club projects vary depending on community events. Many students tutor for service hour. Students have to be invited to join Beta Club. Students have to have an overall 4.0 average at the end of their 9th grade year and must have no discipline problems deemed unworthy of Beta Club members and school administration.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: The International Thespian Society, a branch of the Educational Theatre Association, is the world's largest honor society for theatre arts students. Its purpose is to advance the standard of excellence in theatre and encourage students to attain a better mastery of this art form. All nominees for active membership of Wando's troupe #3654 must be enrolled in grades 9-12 at Wando, participate in at least two full-length plays, and have earned a minimum of ten points (i.e., 100 hours of superior work with the drama department). Final troupe authority concerning membership is left to the discretion of the troupe sponsor. There are no annual fees for current members, but there is an initial fee for in-coming members of $22.00. This fee covers the cost of a one-year subscription to DRAMATICS magazine, a membership card and certificate, and continued eligibility for Thespian scholarship programs. If you're interested in more information in being a part of Wando's troupe, see Mrs. Carroll.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: Kitty Hawk is an academic and community service honor society for qualifying AFJROTC cadets. This is an honors organization and students have to be invited to join.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: The purpose of this chapter is to insure and recognize those students who have shown outstanding ability in art. As members, they are expected to have a dedicated spirit in the pursuit of art, aid members in working toward the attainment of their highest potential in an art area, bring art to the attention of the school and community, and finally to further aesthetic awareness in all aspects of the school’s total program. Last year the NAHS worked countless hours on the musical: building props and painting and adding details to them. We made cookies for teacher appreciation week and planned an end-of-the-year art show as well as a fundraiser for the senior art club/NAHS members’ gift certificates and honor cords. Students must be enrolled in art classes at Wando or have been in an art class at Wando. In addition those students interested in being in an art club but who do not qualify for NAHS, may join us as art club members.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: The NHS promotes service, leadership, and character. The NHS participates in different fundraisers to raise money for scholarships for NHS members who have excelled in the mission of NHS. Students may find volunteer service hours on their own such as helping out a neighbor or volunteer church work. They may participate in organized volunteer activities such as the Water Missions Walk or Habitat for Humanity just to name a few. This past year our chapter project was to decorate the barn and grounds of Healing Farms for their Christmas Party which hosts up to 300 families who have members with disabilities. NHS is an honors organization and students have to be invited to join.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: An exciting program available through the National Dance Education Organization (NDEO), the primary mission of the NHSDA is to recognize outstanding artistic merit, leadership and academic achievement in students (ages 11-18) studying dance in dance studios, public and private schools in K-12 education, cultural/community centers and performing arts organizations, and to foster an appreciation for dance as a true art form and one worthy of recognition and prestige. In addition, the NHSDA serves to identify those honor students of junior and senior high school age for nomination to the National Dance Education Organization’s Artistic Merit, Leadership and Academic Achievement Award, the highest student dance award in the nation.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: The goal of this organization is to promote the study of the classics. Students attend academic competitions throughout the school year. We try to adopt a community service project; usually it’s a partnership with a downtown elementary school class. This is an honor society and students are selected for membership based on Junior Classical League Service and GPA. Please contact Mr. Wagner for more information.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: Mu Alpha Theta is "...dedicated to engendering keener interest in mathematics, the development of strong scholarship in the subject and promoting the enjoyment of mathematics among high school and junior and community college students." The club requires all members to provide two hours of math tutoring per month. The club hosts the Wando ΜΑθ Math Tournament (held in the spring) which is open to all South Carolina high schools. ΜΑθ is an honors society. We have membership drives in the fall and in the spring. Students should contact their Honors Math teacher for more information.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: This honor society is for students who actively participate in and promote excellence in Career and Technical Education courses at the secondary and post-secondary levels.
- Purpose/Mission of Club: Each member of this honor group must apply and be chosen to participate. The groups serves many capacities at Wando, including but not limited to, organizing events for new students, conducting tours of the school, and welcoming new families. Currently, this group is limited to seniors.